Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Girls' Weekend...Women of Faith



Last weekend, I got the opportunity to travel to Kansas City to a Women of Faith conference with my friends Tracey and Mary and my sisters-in-law Janet and Teresa. There were several other ladies from our church who went as well, but we drove ourselves up there and had a great time. We stayed at the Alladin Hotel in downtown KC, which is a newly renovated historic hotel and also a Holiday Inn. The room was nice, but the management was RUDE. I would not stay there again.
Women of Faith was wonderful. Tracey, Teresa and I, along with my friend Emily had gone to our first Women of Faith conference back in 2001, a little more than a year after my mom died. I thought at the time it might have been the timing, but I remembered the whole experience being so uplifting and encouraging. After last weekend, I realized it didn't really have anything to do with the timing. This year was just as uplifting and encouraging as it was 8 years ago. I was really excited to go this year because Steven Curtis Chapman was the musical guest and I think he's amazing! He has a heart for adoption and a story that is inspiring. I could listen to him all day. Then if SCC wasn't enough, Mandisa, who was on American Idol 2 years ago (she didn't win, but I loved her spirit) also performed. Then to top it off, Lisa Whelchel who played Blair Warner on The Facts of Life back in the day which happens to be MY day (LOVED that show!), was one of the speakers. She told about her time on the show and the struggles she faced during that time and afterward. There were 7 speakers throughout the weekend and I was inspired by them all. All of them made us laugh and some of them made us laugh UNTIL they made us cry...all of them were funny and inspiring!


Steven Curtis Chapman - love him!


Lisa Whelchel - "Blair"
Mandisa

Charlie's Angels....no wait, that's Tracey, Teresa, and Janet! We had to walk 2 blocks from the hotel to the Sprint Center, where the conference was held.
Mary and me...I think this was my 3rd attempt at a self-portrait. At least I got both of our heads in this one! :)
After the conference ended on Saturday afternoon, we headed to Oak Park Mall where we indulged ourselves at On the Border and then did some shopping. I was looking for a new purse (am I always looking for a new purse??! they're so fun to buy!). I did finally found one - and it was HALF PRICE! We spent an hour or so at the mall before we all decided we were worn out from so much fun and ready to head home. But it was a GREAT weekend - thanks girls for the memories!

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I've never made it to the Women of Faith Conference, but am hoping to one of these days. I'm also looking for a new purse...I'd be so excited if I could find one I like for half price :)
Phyllis